Matt Williams, Matt Young, and I spent several hours birding the Knox-Marcellus
Marsh at Montezuma yesterday (26 August 2010).  We spent most of our time
viewing from along Towpath Road, where we bumped into a migrant Alan Belford.
don't have time to post complete details now, but did want to let people know
that there were three RED-NECKED PHALAROPES and a single WILSON'S PHALAROPE
present along with more common shorebirds.  I believe that all four of these
birds were juveniles.  Although they did split up at times, the four phalaropes
were often in close proximity to each other (especially the three Red-neckeds).

The Red-neckeds spent most of the time sitting on some of the deeper water in
the area, often actively spinning around as phalaropes do.

We viewed these birds from a rather expansive opening/vantage point along
Towpath Road, a little ways before the impoundment wall (coming from East
Road).  Although I think Young first picked out the Red-necked Phalaropes with
his binoculars, a spotting scope is really necessary to enjoy these and other
shorebirds present.

Good birding,
Matt Medler
Ithaca