This evening there was a basic plumaged EARED GREBE swimming out near the
red lighthouse jetty visible from Stewart Park.  The most noticeable thing
about the bird was its very steep forehead and distinctly triangular head
shape, with the peak just above and perhaps slightly in front of the eye.
 The black on the crown extended downwards below and behind the eye,
wrapping around diffusely to the back of the neck.  Its back and flanks were
black, with little contrast.  The bill seemed rather short and thin, but it
was bit too far away to notice any other details.  It was swimming near a
Pied-billed Grebe at one point but later drifted away on its own towards the
pilings.  I was able to take some video using my phone through the scope,
which I will post to my flickr page tomorrow if it reveals anything useful.
 Hopefully the bird will stick around overnight.  This was my first Eared
Grebe for Tompkins County so I imagine it would be a new county bird for
many others as well.

Good birding

--
Tim Lenz