Among the snipe, pipits and many shorebirds at Montezuma yesterday was a godwit
in
adult winter plumage. We had excellent looks and took a raft of photos that we
can
share with anyone interested. We had an ID problem with this bird as the bill
appeared absolutely straight much as one would see on a Black-tailed Godwit
(limosa
limosa).

The bi-color bill pattern was closer to Hudsonian (darker). While the bird was
very
actively moving and feeding, it took an age for it to show its underwing. At
that
point we went with Hudsonian due the narrow wingstipe on dark wing. The upper
tail
coverts were closer to the notch present on a Black-tailed and the bird seemed
overall larger than expected but the two are only a bit different in size.
Interesting drill but made for bleary eyes.

Does anyone know if the two have interbred?

Sorry Chris, not a single swallow at MNWR yesterday.

John
--
Dr.John and Sue Gregoire
Field Ornithologists