Yesterday's entertainment at Stewart Park was highlighted by a thin man
in a hooded black wetsuit standing tall atop a surfboard with an oar in his
hands and slowly paddling the length of the shoreline.  This of course
caused every single waterbird to take flight in succession.  He must've
looked like the grim reaper to them.  When I think of other people's odd
hobbies, I wonder what they think of my hobby or how they view the world
("If I could only get past all those dang people with tripods on the shore
and get rid of all the birds, then I could appreciate the view of the water," or
"Birds swarming up and flying off are ever so much prettier than when they
are just lazing around in the water near the shore.")  It is surely a wonderful
thing that even on days when there is not enough wind to raise a big kite
and zoom around frightening the birds wholesale, that someone has still
found an energy efficient way to clear them off.

Despite the disruption I found a GREEN-WINGED TEAL swimming by herself.
The single female COMMON GOLDENEYE was by herself as well.  Small groups
of BUFFLEHEADS and RUDDY DUCKS were flying back and forth.  There was
at least one AMERICAN BLACK DUCK afar on the water.  Lots of CANADA GEESE,
including the greylag hybrid, and MALLARDS were moving nervously on or over
the water in the closer ranges.  The Aythya flock was much further from shore.
It now numbers about 60.  I was able to pick out the BLACK SCOTER among
them as they flew circuits around the southern end of the lake, and when they
alit far off I could pick out a male REDHEAD as well as RING-NECKED DUCK,
several LESSER SCAUP, and I think the female CANVASBACK.  No doubt there
was Greater Scaup still among them as well.  A GREAT BLUE HERON also flew
past, but the BELTED KINGFISHER stayed perched on the dock railing