Less than 3 hours before Gary's report came in, I counted 83 COMMON LOONS
cruising in a tight flock on the surface near the red light.  Did the Pacific Loon hold
it's breath underwater the entire time I double-counted the flock?  Was it around
the point?  Did it align itself perfectly behind a larger Common Loon?  Did it fly in
to join the later feeding frenzy?  I can hardly complain much when I have in the
past also had an excellent view of the bird from this same spot.  Still, it is a bit
irksome that for a second time the bird has been reported from Sheldrake Point
this fall just after I have arrived home from having looked for it there.  Consolation
birds for me were a female/juvenile BLACK SCOTER by #7556 south of the point
on County Road 153, and a winter plumage RED-NECKED GREBE by #7284
Wyers Point Rd.
Thanks again, Gary, for reporting the bird, staying on it to the bitter end, arranging
sticks in an arrow to show where you last saw it, and then returning to help stare
fruitlessly into the mirage with Ann & me.  What a guy!
--Dave Nutter