To anthropomorphize, the large, raucous clans of crows that gather in winter
always put me in mind of Edith Wharton novels, where the old families are
tangled by intermarriage and winter is the height of the social season, with
a dinner or a ball every night.  As in the novels, I bet the younger
individuals are using the large, impersonal "crushes" to check out potential
mates for the coming season, even as the big, noisy gatherings reaffirm the
larger relationships among the clans.

Robin

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my
religion."

                     —   Thomas Paine