to the Ithaca CBC Count Week!  There's less than 3 hours
left to go back out and find that Long-eared Owl.
--Dave Nutter

On Jan 04, 2011, at 05:25 PM, Susan Fast <sustf...@yahoo.com> wrote:

It's really annoying. This has got to stop. I just got home and read Geo's
post. I've been out in the Hammond Hill area for 15 hours, getting snowed
on, wet, cold, disillusioned, all by myself with no warm, friendly hearth
just a step away, all for one (1) little rubber-ducky squeak of a purported
SAW-WHET, and now I see where he has let his pet owl out of its cage to fly
around his yard and make cute vocalizations and primp in fruit trees.
Gr-r-r-r.

Steve "Abominable Snow-man" Fast

-----Original Message-----
From: bounce-7638828-9286...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-7638828-9286...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Geo Kloppel
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 5:49 PM
To: Cayugabirds-L L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Saw Whet Owl

Last night I stood in my driveway and whistled for Northern Saw Whet
Owl. I got just one "rubber ducky" squeak in reply.

This evening I tried again at dusk, and this time a cute little owl
flew up with a slightly squeaky "tew-tew-tew" and perched, first in
the balsams, then right in sight about 12 feet from me in a wild
apple tree. Not wanting to create a big disturbance, I turned and
walked back toward the house, but I couldn't resist whistling one
more series of toots before going indoors. Again the owl flew right
up with a "tew-tew-tew", perched briefly in a pear tree and then
crossed the driveway to a pine.

I'm five miles outside of the Ithaca count circle, sorry... but I
wonder, did anyone try for Saw Whets at the top of West Jersey Hill Rd?

-Geo

Geo Kloppel
Bowmaker & Restorer
227 Tupper Road