From: bounce-7680205-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-7680205-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Caroline Manring
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2011 5:55 PM
To: cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Juncos learn new trick, Lab feeder favs

The Juncos that have frequented my porch floor under the feeder for a few years
have started coming to the feeder perches! These perches are about
shoulder-height on a hanging cylindrical feeder, two floors up on a back porch
downtown. I was very surprised.

I think it might be because the usual cloud of House Sparrows has departed for
somebody else's porch, and with just a few Chickadees and a Titmouse left, no
one's knocking enough seed down onto the floor for the Juncos anymore.

I'd never seen Juncos come to a hanging feeder, high up, and perch while they
eat. Anybody else's Juncos doing similar tricks?

Also, my mother's Tree Sparrows in Skaneateles have been perching on and eating
from the suet (also hanging shoulder-height).  It seems these "ground" birds
have more tricks up their sleeves than I thought.

At the Lab bird garden today, some highlights were PURPLE FINCH female, and our
favorite FIELD SPARROW vagabond. Yesterday a pair of COMMON RAVENS flew over
Sapsucker calling to each other.

Caroline Manring
Ithaca downtown