Sorry for this very late post, but on Wednesday (26th) the lake was like glass
and I did a thorough scan from East Shore Park in the afternoon. A pair of
LONG-TAILED DUCKS (one stunning adult male) and 6 HORNED GREBES were far out
but clearly visible in the middle of the lake to the north. Two loons were
across the lake on the west shore -- one was an obvious COMMON, but the other
looked smaller, slimmer, with a more clearly defined and narrow dark back and
hind-neck, I believe indicative of the RED-THROATED LOON. I also counted 110
COMMON MERGANSERS and 200 COMMON GOLDENEYES scattered across the south end of
the lake.

I could see the large raft of ducks that Elaina has been reporting on -- with
the very different angle looking from the Northeast, and the complete lack of
any heat shimmer, I got remarkably good looks from this great distance and
could probably see parts of the flock not visible from the west shore. I
counted roughly 100 RING-NECKED DUCKS along the edge of the flock, and several
hundred SCAUP made up one end of the flock. My estimates were 4,000 REDHEAD and
500 CANVASBACK in total.

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Director of Conservation Science