I spotted a northern shrike on Keady Road (between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes)
near the intersection with Beltzer Road.  It was perched in a field on the
south side of the Keady Road.  I watched in total amazement as it flew to
chopped cornfield (at the edge of woodlands) right in front of me.  It seemed
to be wrestling with something on the snow.  It then flew up about 10 feet into
the air a hovered (like a kingfisher) for about 10 seconds; flew back down to
the ground where it proceeded to bash the heck out of a rodent with its beak.
Judging from the tail and non-chubbiness, I think it was a short-tailed shrew
although maybe it was a vole.  Anyways the shrike grabbed the rodent by the
back of the head and waited until the furry rascal stopped struggling, then
flew all the way back across the road, the field and beyond the perch it was
originally in.

I still can't believe that it was able to spot the rodent from such a long
distance away (easily 3 football fields).  Amazing!

Spotted two rough-legged hawks in the area as well as a couple hundred
snowbuntings that were near a one-story green dairy barn.  Saw lots of horned
larks here and there too.  One small flock of flying snow geese as well.

David Diaz
Trumansburg, NY