Bob's call this morning about the Red-necked Grebe had a delayed effect.
I didn't get to Ladoga until after 1pm, but viewing was still ideal and the bird
was still there (Thanks, Bob!).  It was a bit disorienting as I scanned the lake
to realize that the unfamiliar panorama was a crystal-clear view of Stewart
Park about six miles away.  The conditions inspired me to continue around the
lake, but when I saw that Long Point had not been plowed, I didn't stop, then
the breeze had ruffled the water by the time I got to the Wells College boathouse,
so I missed the scoters and the rest of the grebes Bob mentioned.  However,
I can add a few bits of info:

"Screechie" was out in the box at the Factory Street pond in Union Springs.
In fact, this particular Eastern Screech-Owl has been out every time I've looked
this year.  Has anyone seen it move lately?

From Union Springs north the ice appears continuous until the Village of Cayuga,
where a broad opening appears well south of Harris Park and continues north
all the way to Mud Lock, with the Seneca-Cayuga canal being open as well.
There were plenty of Aythya by the Village of Cayuga but my scanning was
interrupted by a train which put most ducks into the air.  All 3 swan species
were in the area, including 5 MUTE SWANS visible from Harris Park, 2 adult
and 1 immature TRUMPETER SWANS along the near shore just south of Mud
Lock, and hundreds of presumably mostly TUNDRA SWANS in between (I did
not get a close look from north of the railroad).  An adult BALD EAGLE kept
vigil by the nest at Mud Lock, and I suspect the mate was hidden in the nest.

On the west side the ice was continuous past Upper Lake Rd and Lower
Lake Rd, Bridgeport in the Town of Seneca Falls, and continued south out
of sight toward Canoga.  However there were a few soft-looking spots, and
when they melt it's time to look for Eurasian Wigeon, Green-winged Teal,
Northern Shoveler, etc., in those polynyas.

As it was getting toward dusk I decided to check out the area which Marty
Schlabach & family had reported on.  At 6pm as I drove west up Wycoff Rd
toward Rock River Rd I saw 4 SHORT-EARED OWLS gallavanting over the
fields to the north and south.

--Dave Nutter