Nancy Ostman and I went to look at the Red-tailed Hawks at Cornell's game
farm yesterday from 13:15-13:45 (NW 29 G 37, 29 degrees F, clear). I was
curious to see how the winds would affect the hawk count and behavior. An
approaching Arctic cold front made it extremely windy as temperatures fell
rapidly. There were about 20 RTHA, down from 51 yesterday, with most flying
and soaring instead of perching, as usual, on the poles and fences around
the pheasant pens. The air was alive with RTHA and countless American Crows,
with at least a thousand starlings wheeling and alighting in the pens. Along
Stevenson Road, halfway between the pheasant pens and the compost piles, a
vast number of gulls and crows sailed on the wind, joined for a brief time
by two Turkey Vultures. Numerous small chevrons of Canada Geese flew by, or
rather, were blown by, as we watched the aerial mêlée. Closer to the compost
piles, gull and crow numbers tripled in the air and on the fields, with
crows also perched in the nearby trees. While we saw no unusual species, it
was exciting to be amidst such a vast number of black and white birds being
whipped about in all directions.

 Candace Cornell