In case no one has responded to Marty Schlabach's recent post questioning whether anyone knows of red-tail hawks catching prey on the wing, I saw one do just that. Not in real life, however, but on film. I recently went to the showing of "The Legend of Pale Male" at Cornell Cinema. The producer/director, Frederic Lilien, gave a talk the night before at the Monday night seminar and was there to answer questions after the showing. I thought the film was superb and believe it would be very appealing to all bird lovers. I checked on the internet, and it looks like it will be coming out on DVD this spring. I plan on getting a copy or two the first chance I can.

Some 20 years ago Pale Male just happened to pick an area to nest that was on a posh 5th Avenue penthouse right next to Central Park, where there is a virtual cornucopia of prey. One of the clips in the film showed Pale Male flying in among a flock of pigeons and actually catching one in flight! You'll have to see it to believe it!

Pale Male is a most unusual red-tail, and may well be the exception to the rule that elsewhere in the wild red-tails rarely, if ever, catch prey on the wing. Anyone have any first-hand observations of red-tails catching prey in flight, or know more on this subject?

Larry

--

W. Larry Hymes