SFO group 6 had a really nice day despite the cold. In fact, this likely was
one
of the coldest
days in SFO history (along with Saturday!!).  Highlights: Right out the front
door of the lab we

had one COMMON REDPOLL in  the top of a bush. Next, on the  Wilson Trail in one
of the Willow

Trees to the left of the Owens observation platform, we had a single RUSTY
BLACKBIRD of which everyone got great views through the scope. There were also
common grackles
and red-winged blackbirds around for comparision...a great learning experience!
Then we found a FOX

SPARROW which was facing away from us in the top of a bush. We saw the two
GREAT
BLUE HERONS

by their nests. We also had many others at SSW including BROWN CREEPER, and
HOODED
MERGANSERS.

Then, after warming up in the lab for a few minutes, we headed to Stewart Park.
There was a fierce
north wind blowing down the lake and it was cold....very cold. There was a lot
of waterfowl though,

and we got great views of AMERICAN WIDGEON, RING-NECKED DUCK, REDHEAD, and
LESSER SCAUP fairly close to shore. We cut our time short here, because we were
all freezing. Then,

we headed over  by the boathouse out of the wind and walked by the canal toward
Renwick Woods.

We had many MALLARDs, and a nice group of WOOD DUCKs. In addition, there were
two KILLDEER
on the edge of the grass across the canal. Then we walked back into the woods
see the GREAT

HORNED OWLS and they were VERY cooperative. Carl Steckler, one of the SFO
students, got

a nice photo of this pair in which he posted on the SFO class page:

http://sfocornell.ning.com/photo/great-horned-owl-1?xg_source=activity

If you look close near the bottom of the cavity, you can see the other owl
tucked in.
Thanks Carl!   All in all, it was a nice start to SFO 2011 as we totaled 43
species
for the day. Now let's hope we can get some spring weather for SPRING field
ornithology
in the coming weeks!!!

Dave Nicosia