Kevin and I went around the lake today as well.  I don't have much to add to
Bob's report, but we did see a couple of different things.

First, I should note that the EURASIAN WIGEON present at Tschache Pool
straight out from the tower was an atypical bird.  It had a paler orange
face than most Eurasians, with a paler than normal forehead stripe (buffy
white instead of yellowish buff).  Additionally, the salmon breast
coloration extended on to the shoulders more than normal.  These features
initially made me think it might be an American x Eurasian hybrid (such as
this one I photographed at Stewart Park a few years ago:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Cq_PldQvCC2-Jac2Ri94uA?feat=directlink),
but it showed no sign (that I could tell, it was relatively distant of a
face mask or brown tones on the back or flanks, so it was probably just an
odd Eurasian.

As Bob noted, one GREATER and one LESSER YELLOWLEGS were also at Tschache
Pool, as well as 3 LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS.  These included one fairly
normal adult (no head streaking, typical of a spring bird), one extremely
pale-backed individual (intermediate between normal Lesser and Herring back
shades), which turned out to be a 3rd cycle (with some brownish in the wings
in flight), and one 1st cycle bird.

While we were watching the SANDHILL CRANES at East Road, Kevin and I saw and
heard a flock of 17 LAPLAND LONGSPURS fly overhead from the east (mucklands
area) and proceed to the west/southwest.  No good looks, which is
unfortunate considering they were probably in excellent breeding plumage by
now.  Also on the Knox-Marsellus impoundment were at least 40 Ruddy Ducks
and a male COMMON GOLDENEYE.

Van Dyne Spoor Road was pretty uninteresting, with no ducks or shorebirds of
note.  I did have a RUFFED GROUSE fly over the road in the wooded area,
though.

No sign of the Common Teal at the visitor center when we were there.  On the
way up the lake, we found several flocks of Long-tailed Ducks, including
some off Myers Point, Long Point State Park, Aurora, and Cayuga Lake State
Park (on the west side).  No luck with Eared Grebe among the many (~23)
Horned Grebes at Aurora, but we did see and hear a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER in
the cedars on the bluffs overlooking the bay.  Lots of sparrows were back
today, including SWAMP SPARROWS at Dryden Lake and all over the Montezuma
complex, CHIPPING SPARROWS on Sweazey Road in Lansing and in Aurora, and
SAVANNAH SPARROWS in Ledyard and at Montezuma.

This morning Dryden Lake had a single RUDDY DUCK and lots of mergansers of
all three species.

And yes Fritzie, lots of Ospreys and Bald Eagles all over Montezuma, but
nothing out of the ordinary.

I ended with 96 species for the day.

Good birding,

Jay McGowan