Birding with Lynn:What birds are on the move? Where can you see them and what
are their songs? Enjoy a ramble with Lynn Leopold (and celebrate Earth Day) at
9
a.m. Saturday, April 23, at Greensprings Natural Cemetery Preserve, 293 Irish
Hill Road. Rain date is Saturday, April 30, 9 a.m. Bring binoculars if you have
them. Directions follow.
Also note … we’ll be at Community Wellness Day at the Ithaca High School on
Saturday, May 7, from 12 to 3. Proceeds (including, I believe, our booth
rental!) go to charity. This event generated thousands of dollars for community
nonprofits its first year—this is the second.

Please accept my apologies for getting this out so late … I’ve had pretty
serious problems with my email lists.
Directions to Greensprings:
>From Ithaca:  Take NY Route 13 (Elmira Road) south 4.5 miles from city limits.
(Follow sign for Elmira--right lane--where Routes 34 & 96 split off.) At sign
for Newfield, turn left. You will be on Main Street. Go all the way through the
village. After post office, turn left on Van Kirk Road. Continue south 4 miles.
Where Van Kirk bends nearly 90 degrees to left,slow down, then go straight onto
Irish Hill Road. Drive 1.2 miles to the Greensprings entrance, which will be on
your left.
>From Elmira (I-86/NY Rt. 17):  Take Exit 54 onto NY Route 13 north; drive
>about
19 miles. Look for sign for Trumbull Corners Road. (This intersection is about
7.8 miles after the Rt. 13-Rt. 224 crossroad.) Turn right at Trumbull Corners
Road. At stop sign, turn right. Take first left turn onto Van Kirk Road.
Continue south 4 miles; where Van Kirk bends nearly 90 degrees to left,slow
down, then go straight onto Irish Hill Road. Drive 1.2 miles to the
Greensprings
entrance, which will be on your left.
>From Binghamton (I-86/NY Rt. 17):  Drive west on I-86/NY Rt. 17 to Owego. At
Exit 64, take NY Rt. 96 north about 10 miles to Candor. At Candor, follow Rt.
96
where it turns left. (Do NOT follow Rt. 96B north.) Drive west on Rt. 96 about
9
miles to Spencer. At the blinking red light in Spencer continue straight on NY
Rt. 34 south. (Do NOT follow Rts. 34 & 96 north!) Drive almost 4 miles to Van
Etten. Rt. 34 turns to the south here—you need to go straight onto NY Rt. 224.
Continue on Rt. 224 about 5.5 miles. Turn right onto County Road 13 (also
Jackson Hollow Road). Stay on the main paved road for about 5.2 miles. After
about 2.7 miles, you will cross into Tompkins County.Where Jackson Hollow bends
sharply right, continue straight on Van Kirk Road. At 5.2 miles (from NY Rt.
224), Van Kirk Road bends sharply to the right. That’s where you make a sharp
left on Irish Hill Road. Drive 1.2 miles to the Greensprings entrance, which
will be on your left.