Thank you Wesley, Greg and Pete for responding so quickly. Wesleys email
response I believe did not get on to the list serve so I copyed it below.

Greg Ward

Hi Greg,

   I'm replying from my web mail, so for some reason I can't reply to the
entire list.  However, that Song Sparrow had an infection of avian pox (a
virus that causes growths like that on the hard parts of birds.  I did my
PhD research on Song Sparrows (near Vancouver Island), and our study
population always had a small number of diseased birds...some of which lived
for multiple years with these sorts of growths.  My (imperfect)
understanding of avian pox is that birds will die not from the infection per
se, but instead if the disease gets to the point of debilitating the a bird
(either growths at the beak that prevent feeding, or severe growths on its
legs that prevent their use).

Wesley Hochachka