The ospreys continue on the platform on Number One Rd., the extension of Center
St. going east from the post office. Also on the nests on Backus Rd. & at
Firelanes 15 & 17 north of Union Springs as well as at the Cayuga Lake Farm
south of the Springs.

On Rte 90 on my way from Union Springs to the refuge on Wed. past, I noticed
sticks atop a utility pole on the west side just north of the RR tracks, not
far south of Cayuga. The white farm house across the road belongs to Mennonites
I know. In summertime, Mrs. Horst always has a nice veggie garden, lots of
beautiful flowers ... & often a line of drying clothes flapping in the breeze.
Always a neat place, thanks to her labors.

When I went by on Fri. a.m. I noticed the nest had increased in size & an
osprey was approaching the nest with a large stick. Another osprey was on a
pole to the west down along the driveway. I stopped & watched a bit from a fair
distance. Two other vehicles had stopped,  one right under the nest, the other
directly across the road where parents & 3 kids jumped out to point, jabber &
watch. The osprey with the stick approached 4 or 5 times but finally went to
perch by the mate. I then drove to the family where the man loudly proclaimed,
"Ospreys!" I told them they were disturbing the birds & the man said, "Oh, uh,
we're leaving."

At Cayuga's Beacon Mills no nest has been built on the tower in the water but I
saw 2 ospreys circling around the west end of the RR bridge. Hopefully they'll
build on the tower. Two nests along 5 & 20 have ospreys. The platform on the
North Spring Pool along Rte. 89 which has a nest cam on it has a nesting
osprey, finally, & one egg was visible on Fri..

Osprey was on the platform along the Seneca R. just north of the bridge before
MNWR entrance. A new nest has been started on a large power pole east of the 5
& 20/90 intersection on the north side of 5 & 20.

I didn't go to Armstrong Rd. to check on that nest.

No ospreys were visible on the 2 old nests along the canal at May's. Saw no
birds on the Gravel Rd. nest. Maybe John VanNiel knows for sure.

Anyone else know of nests at the north end of the lake?? This seems to be an
amazing increase of ospreys in the last 5 yrs..

Just as I got to Becky's house on Ridge Rd. at 6 p.m. on Fri. I saw 2 SANDHILL
CRANES heading NE.

70 degrees & very, very windy. We've had some sunshine after a nasty a.m..  but
clouds are coming in again. Gas is $3.75.9 in Union Springs. Wish the Creamery
was closer!!

Happy Easter to all,

Fritzie