The WILLET was still present from 8:20 to 8:30pm when I decided, due to fading light and wet optics, to pack up my scope and walk home.   It was along the Cayuga Inlet shore a short distance north of the mouth of the marina, and indeed visible from the south point of the mouth of the marina, as Jay advertised.  The bird had been standing quietly in profile, only turning its head occasionally.  As I walked away I heard several Willet-like "peer" calls which faded as if from a bird flying north.  I returned, set up my scope again, and did not see a bird where it had stood.  I suspect from its calls and the north breeze and wet weather, that it was only flying a very short distance to spend the night, perhaps on the white lighthouse jetty.  Anyway, thank-you, Tim & Jay, for helping me to add a species to my Ithaca and Luddite lists.

--Dave Nutter