Took a trip to Montezuma with my birding pal Dan Watkins.
We stopped at Myer's to get the Orchard Orioles for Dan
with success. At first, we did not hear or see them at all. So,
we walked to the point which was flooded and found
a couple GREATER YELLOWLEGS, SPOTTED SANDPIPER,
COMMON LOONS, BUFFLEHEAD and various swallows. On the way
back to the car at the entrance there were 2 ORCHARD ORIOLES
singing near the entrance. I located both birds which were 1st year
males with black bibs.  As they chased each other around,
another one was singing from across the railroad tracks near
the entrance. This was an adult male in the maroon/chestnut
plumage. So there are 3 there as pointed out by John Greenley.

The MNWR visitor's center has the same waterfowl seen a couple days
ago. I stopped in the center and spoke with Jane Graves who
had CERULEAN WARBLERS at Howland Island, and
also near the restrooms where they were last year. She also
indicated that there were 3 BLACK TERNS at May's.
We struck out on the Cerulean warblers near the restrooms
and there were none singing at May's. We did not get
to Howland Island either. Maybe next time. But, we did
have 4 BLACK TERNS flying around at May's. May's
again had a very nice variety of waterfowl, coots, moorhen
and pied-billed grebe. The woods also had some warblers.

We decided to give Towpath Road a try and given
that the water is so high it was not bad at all. I have
seen it much worse. We had many many
YELLOW WARBLERS. We  also heard BLACK AND
WHITE. The best birds from Towpath were 4 CASPIAN
TERNS loafing which were close enough to get great looks
throughs bins and especially with our scopes. Not much
else there other than what we had already seen.

Next stop was Carncross Road and we picked
out a beautiful BLACK BELLIED PLOVER
in breeding plumage. This guy was a little
distant but we were able to make out the white undertail.
The bill was also thicker and the bird was pudgier so
I am certain it was a BLACK BELLIED vs. AMERICAN
GOLDEN PLOVER. There were also many other species
of waterfowl there all of what we had already seen.
No cranes today and the bonaparte's gulls of the past couple
days did not show either.

Went to Morgan road next and found a VESPER SPARROW
on the wire across the road from the house that is up a little
above the fields.

Railroad Rd was flooded so we were not able to get out
too far but we did hear the AMERICAN BITTERN. I was unable
to get the SORA or VIRGINIA RAIL( no speakers on my
blackberry to call them out from this distance.)

Overall, given that we missed many of our common forest
birds, we totaled 106 species.  Not a bad day. Plus
the weather was nice. Finally!

Dave Nicosia
Johnson City, NY