This morning, I birded the Hawthorn Orchard from about 7:15am to 9:30am.
While there, I met Heidi Bardy, Beth Bannister, and Mark Scheel. Later, on
my way out, I ran into Andy Johnson and Jay McGowan.

Really great birding there today. There's a sizeable flock of birds that are
slowly moving around the Hawthorn Orchard; plus, there are rogue individuals
foraging on the periphery of the hawthorns. When in the midst of the
migratory flock of birds, you can barely think, it's so loud. The cacophony
of sound makes for interesting challenges hearing and identifying
everything. It was painful pulling myself away to head into work.

Highlights today: THE flock, 1 PHILADELPHIA VIREO (finally, as I was
leaving), 1 MOURNING WARBLER (heard once), 4 CANADA WARBLERS, 6-8
BAY-BREASTED WARBLERS, and 30+ TENNESSEE WARBLERS.

****

The biggest surprise was a single female TENNESSEE WARBLER carrying a large
wad of grassy NESTING MATERIAL near the fire hydrant (NW corner)! I cannot
believe that they will actually nest here, being as far South as they are
from typical nesting locations, but you never know. I don't have access to
the latest Breeding Bird Atlas right now, but am interested to see how those
data compare to historic data on (rare) probable breeders in NYS. I'll keep
my eyes open again in the coming days and try to get a photo of that
individual while it is exhibiting nesting behavior.

*****

Here's the run-down of notables from today:

2 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

2 Least Flycatchers

1 Eastern Kingbird

3 Warbling Vireos

1 PHILADELPHIA VIREO

8-10+ RED-EYED VIREOS

1 Wood Thrush

30+ TENNESSEE WARBLERS

6-8 Yellow Warblers

8-10 CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLERS

10-12 Magnolia Warblers

            ZERO Cape May Warblers (absent from the Hawthorn Orchard so far
this year)

2 Yellow-rumped Warblers

4-6 BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLERS

4-6 BLACKBURNIAN WARBLERS

1 PINE WARBLER (Ravine edge)

6-8+ BAY-BREASTED WARBLERS

4-5 BLACKPOLL WARBLERS

2 Black-and-white Warblers

8-10 American Redstarts

1 Ovenbird

1 NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH (middle of Hawthorn Orchard)

1 MOURNING WARBLER (heard song only once, Northeast corner towards ravine)

8-10 Common Yellowthroats

4 CANADA WARBLERS (2 males Northeast corner, 1 male and 1 female far
Southwest corner)

2 Scarlet Tanagers

1 Chipping Sparrow

3-4 Song Sparrows

1 White-throated Sparrow (near fire hydrant - Northwest corner)

4-6 ROSE-BREASTED GROSEBEAKS

4-6 INDIGO BUNTINGS

1 Bobolink (flyover)

10-12 BALTIMORE ORIOLES (males, females, varying plumages, everywhere)

Good birding!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

--

Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes

TARU Product Line Manager and Field Applications Engineer

Bioacoustics Research Program, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

159 Sapsucker Woods Road, Ithaca, New York 14850

W: 607-254-2418   M: 607-351-5740   F: 607-254-1132

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/brp