I had the good fortune of meeting up with Bob McGuire, Dave Nutter, Susan
Danskin, and others as they
were tracking the movement of a Red-headed Woodpecker at the corner of Poplar
Ridge Rd. and Rt. 90 in
Aurora earlier today (Saturday) around 12:20 p.m. The bird was very active
flying back and forth in the
nearby woods; it was first located on the west side of 90 in a yard
immediately north of Paynes Creek.

After Bob, Dave and Susan and friends left for Montezuma I continued searching
for the bird  as it was the
first RhW I have observed in Aurora in over twenty years. With the help of a
friend I located the RhW in the
large Sycamore east of 90 and south of Poplar Ridge. After about 30 minutes I
discovered that there were
two RhWs moving in the tree tops and flying back and forth over Rt. 90. It
seems that this is a breeding
pair which adds to the excitement of having this magnificent species finally
return to the Aurora area.

I did manage to photograph the bird at some distance. Bill Roberts

Aurora, N.Y.