After leaving Armitage Road, John and I drove to the Preserve and spent a few hours (mostly in the dark) walking a long loop. First of all, it was buggy - mainly mosquitoes - but nowhere nearly as bad as you get on Howland Island in the summer! As the evening progressed, the chorus of tree frogs, green frogs, and an occasional bull frog became deafening. We did hear one AMERICAN BITTERN, 3 VIRGINIA RAILS, several MARSH WRENS, several PIED-BILLED GREBES, and a COMMON MOORHEN, all without playback. We got one SORA to respond and were unable to pull out any Least Bitterns.

As Ken and others have recently mentioned, the area of restored habitat is huge, with many miles of easy walking trails. There are quite a few vernal wetlands, cattail marshes, and even areas of open water. And hundreds of acres of restored grasslands. I look forward to going back up there, perhaps in the early morning when the frog chorus will have subsided.

Bob McGuire