To defend my (granted slight) reputation as an ear-birder, the birds John and I encountered yesterday evening about 100 yds west of the green bridge over the barge canal were (I feel strongly) Acadian Flycatchers. We arrived there around 7:30 PM and spent about a half hour walking up and down the road, listening for Prothonotarys. We finally focused on a loudly-calling bird on the north side of the road, probably 50 ft back in the woods. At first we thought it might be the Prothonotary and so we continued to look closely for any movement. We never saw the bird, but soon began to hear the distinct "pit-za" of an Acadian. That was followed soon by two other birds singing similar songs. They continued to sing as we were leaving around 8:30. I have recently encountered the singing Acadian on Station Road and, to my ear, the song was the same.

Of course I'd be happy to have confirmation from someone with more experience - or a suggestion of what else we could have been listening to.

Bob