The yellowlegs are early migrants in spring and could have been on territory
for 6-8 weeks already, and thus bred successfully and now on their way south.
I would consider them authentic fall migrants, and that would probably be the
case with other species that migrate north in April or early May (ie., right
now is the expected time for the first southbound birds).

This being only late June, shorebirds that pass us in late May and early June
could not have bred unless they went north much earlier than the others.  Mid
to late June might be too early even to expect failed breeders.  Thus I assume
these to be non-breeding one-year-old birds wandering north as part of spring
migration but probably summering south of the breeding grounds.  I think the
recent White-rumps were in that category.

The dowitcher is perhaps a question mark since there are possibly two species
involved - too far out on Sunday to look for meaningful field marks and I could
barely see the bill.  Short-billed would seem the most likely for various
reasons.

Dave Wheeler
Oswego County