Bob McGuire, Ann Mitchell & I were just finishing what was to be our last stop,
at Mays Point Pool, when a stranger arrived describing a Glossy Ibis at the
Montezuma NWR Visitor Center. We added one more stop and found the bird.
However we believe it is a juvenile, and although we saw no evidence that it is
a White-faced Ibis, neither could we rule it out, thus the ID: Plegadis, sp.
The bird was uniformly dark brown on the body without any of the rust an adult
would show. There were a few white feathers on the throat, which I thought
pointed to it being a juvenile, otherwise the head and neck were brown, but not
as dark as the body. The bill was uniformly gray. The eye appeared dark, but
red on a White-faced Ibis would not appear until months later, according to
Sibley. Similarly the legs were uniformly dark. There was a narrow light stripe
(of skin, I think) above the face from the bill to the eye, but again, I don't
think that would be diagnostic in a juvenile at this time of year.
We first saw the bird actively feeding as we looked left from the platform. We
moved to the driveway for a better angle, not so backlit, and Ann took some
photos. As we were about to leave, being already late, the bird took flight,
going behind the building from our point of view, but it looked like a low,
relaxed, and probably short flight, so I  suspect it just went to another part
of the same pool. At least I hope so. Good luck to those seeking this bird, and
I look forward to others' observations, analysis, corroborations, &/or
contradictions.
--Dave Nutter
Ithaca, NY