I believe Wes is correct and I should add that this bacterium can be spread by
contact. The implication here is that we should be cleaning our feeders often
and
then treating them with a 10% bleach solution. Let that air dry and do not
rinse.

Over the last 25 years we saw a rise and then fall in House Finch infection with
some indication of individuals recovering from stage three which is total
involvement bilaterally. During the peak we documented infection on three other
species including American Goldfinch. Such presentations were exceedingly
uncommon
in comparison to the HOFI numbers. The whole thing is most probably due to, or
exacerbated by the almost straight line genetics of the east coast HOFI
population.

John
--
John and Sue Gregoire