I had a vastly entertaining visit to Sapsucker Woods on Tuesday morning -
maybe the most satisfying birding outing I've ever had here in any October.
Here are some highlights.

* GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH near entrance to Wilson Trail south of the Lab
building.  I had much the same experience that Kevin shared yesterday -- a
10-minute view from about 7 feet, just a few steps into the woods from the
open garden area.  I could see every rictal bristle and every barb of every
feather.  It could hardly have been a more immediate viewing experience had
I held the bird in my hand.  As I watched, the thrush coughed up three
berries and also defecated three times.  Then it flew into the hedgerow at
the edge of the open area, where I saw it glean some shrubs in flight, then
rest again.  Wow!!!  Thanks, Kevin!

* Two SWAINSON'S THRUSHES near this Gray-cheeked Thrush.

* A fine mixed flock of songbirds in the power line cut on the Dryden side,
near the entrance to the woods.  I saw SCARLET TANAGER (apparent male with
nice black wings), PHILADELPHIA VIREO (plainly seen, cautiously identified),
BLUE-HEADED VIREO, RED-EYED VIREO (my total count of 3 seen on both sides of
the road triggered the coveted eBird "confirm" prompt, as did the
Philadelphia), NORTHERN PARULA, BLACKPOLL WARBLER, MAGNOLIA WARBLER,
NASHVILLE WARBLER, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, several EASTERN PHOEBES, and a lot
of chickadees and titmice.

* BROWN THRASHER, my first in the sanctuary for more than a year, between
the far parking lot and the power line cut.

* NORTHERN HARRIER migrating high overhead.

* COMMON RAVEN over the main pond, confirmed by both sound and sight.

I had another fortuitous bird encounter yesterday afternoon.  At the
intersection of Uptown and Warren Roads in northeast Ithaca, I saw three
perfectly round flocks of starlings rising from the power line cut.  As if
at the flourish of a wand, the flocks stretched, instantaneously merged, and
reformed into another flawless sphere.  Then I saw the trigger for such
animated collective aerobatics -- a MERLIN on the attack, speeding, diving,
slicing through the flock like a triply-pointed blade, but ultimately
emerging with nothing.

Mark Chao