I decided to take advantage of the warm updrafts today and watch for a while this afternoon for raptors passing over our backyard (Ellis Hollow Rd, Opp. Dodge Rd) The highlights were: a magnificent Bald Eagle sailing from (limited) horizon to horizon without a wing-beat; two Sharpshinned hawks spiraling up locally and then zooming southwards; a Cooper's Hawk doing the same; and some high Turkey Vultures smoothly sailing south. The most moving sight is to see lone Monarch butterflies battling their way south, high up. Yesterday evening at about 6pm while I was watching Monarchs fluttering south, one little dot resolved into an awesome Merlin flying south straight as an arrow with powerful fast wing beats.

Nari Mistry

--
Nari B. Mistry, Ithaca, NY
To see my paintings, visit