----- Forwarded Message -----
From: ccspagnoli <ccspagn...@hotmail.com>
To: oneidabi...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, November 7, 2011 2:59 PM
Subject: [OneidaBirds] Montezuma 11/7 - Ross's and greater white-fronted geese

Went out to Montezuma this morning.  There was a brisk wind early and even the
waterfowl were out of sight in the grass, but as it warmed up around midmorning
they came out to bathe and feed in the open water.

>From East Road looking down into Knox-Marcellus Marsh I at first had a decent
>number of Canada and Snow geese.  About five minutes after I arrived, a great
>tumult and clamor announced the arrival of a huge cloud of Canadas and Snows.
>After these settled down I managed to find an adult Ross's goose, but it was
>hugging the marsh grasses and soon was out of sight.

Went down to Towpath Road hoping to relocate it.  After quite a while of
searching I spotted my other target bird there, the Greater white-fronted
goose, which has been a real nemesis bird for me this season.

Soon after that I picked out the Ross's, which had abandoned the grasses and
was swimming in the open among the Snows.  Its smaller size was obvious, if not
as dramatically obvious as when I saw it mucking about in the grasses from East
Road, and I also was able to study the different pattern and structure of the
bill (stubbier, no grinning patch, gray around the base.

I also ran down Van Dyne Spoor Road but did not turn up the shrike reported
there yesterday.

I'm not on Cayugabirds, but if anyone wants to repost this there (Jay?),
they're of course more than welcome to do so.

Good birding.

Chris Spagnoli
Town of Pompey

<*> Your email settings: