Probably more important than DD (degrees decimal) or DMS (degrees minutes seconds) is that all submitted data uses the same system. Most common are NAD 27 and WGS 84. Everyone taking GPS coordinates in the field needs to use the same data system when submitting the DD or DMS to you.

But back to your original question:
I would look on Garmin's and TomTom's websites and find out which is their default mode.

Judy Read

From: "bob mcguire" <bmcgu...@clarityconnect.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 8:24 AM
To: "cayugabirdlist" <cayugabirds-L@cornell.edu>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Use of GPS Coordinates

The Cayuga Bird Club is in the process of finalizing the text of the
new Basin Birding Guide. At the last minute we have decided to include
GPS coordinates with the directions/maps for each of the 76 sites. I
would like help and feedback with the following question: which format
for coordinates to incorporate? I expect that folks will use GPS
coordinates either at home (on their computers - Google Earth of
Maps), or on car GPS units, or on smart phones.

The simplest format seems to be so-called "decimal degrees"
Latitude: ##.####°
Longitude: -##.####°

An alternative format is "degrees minutes seconds"
Latitude: N##°##' ##"
Longitude: W##°##' ##"

(I  know there are still other formats as well.)

I would prefer to go with what seems to be the most straight forward:
"decimal degrees". Is there a good argument for any other format? Can
I provoke a good Sunday discussion here?!!

Bob McGuire