Susan Newman and I enjoyed the Snowy Owl in Ovid this afternoon from 4:30
to 5:15PM, alongside Gary Kohlenberg and another couple whose names I
unfortunately never got. By the time we had arrived, the Snowy had moved to
the field southeast of the intersection of Rock River and Wyckof Roads (as
opposed to the field southwest of the intersection where Jay and others had
it for most of the morning), and was quite easily visible, just about 150
yards out from the shoulder on the east side of Rock River.

Shortly after we set up shop, a single Short-eared Owl joined the Snowy as
it coursed over the same field and at one point, apparently got too close
for the Snowy's liking, with the Snowy taking off and flying a few dozen
yards northeast towards Wyckof Rd. This was where we left the Snowy, after
obtaining some excellent views from the car now on Wyckoff, just east of
the intersection. At that point, the bird was only 75 or 100 yards from the
road.

It's a pretty stunning individual with just a few faint grayish markings on
the wings and the back of the head.

Best,
Scott Haber