I had just finished up a recording session along Hoag Avenue this morning (100 Pine Siskins - no crossbills) when I got Dave's call about the Eared Grebe at Aurora. I headed over to the boathouse, met up with Susan Danskin, and spent a good hour scanning back and forth among scattered groups of grebes. A light breeze had picked up, ruffling the water and bouncing the distant dots around a bit. We eventually confirmed ten of the dots as Horned Grebes (the same number reported earlier by Dave) and focused on the eleventh, most distant of all. After awhile the breeze subsided and the water smoothed out. We had been scanning from the parking lot, thinking that a bit of elevation would help with the shimmer. Susan suggested that we get closer to the bird by walking out on the dock. So, instead of 7,000 ft, we narrowed the distance to 6,900! But that was all it took. The shape we had been looking at was now clearly an Eared Grebe: darker overall than Horned Grebe, higher, fluffier "bustle", much less white on the neck and face, thin bill, and the head had a definite "crown" above the eye.

Bob McGuire