Hi all,
I saw a couple good birds in Sapsucker Woods this morning. In addition
to EASTERN PHOEBES and TREE SWALLOWS, both of which seem to be back in
force in the Ithaca area, at least two SWAMP SPARROWS were singing in
the marsh beyond the far parking lot. Tired of not seeing Fox
Sparrows, I went to the habitat they seem to favor, where brushy areas
meet the woods. Sure enough, I found two FOX SPARROWS along the
powerline cut on the east side of Sapsucker Woods just before the
trail goes into the woods heading south. While I was watching them, a
flock of goldfinches flew over with a vocal COMMON REDPOLL among them.
It was giving the somewhat siskin-like "kew" calls interspersed with
the dry "ch ch ch" calls. I'm amazed this bird is still sticking
around, and I wonder if it really is the same individual that others
have seen and heard in the northeast Ithaca area for several months
now.

The staff and visitors to the Lab have been enjoying the waterfowl
diversity on the pond, which today include Mallards, WOOD DUCKS, at
least 8 GADWALL (up to 13 or more last week), HOODED MERGANSERS,
COMMON MERGANSERS, a RING-NECKED DUCK (which I watched take off and
fly north), and a PIED-BILLED GREBE that has been here for several
days.

Yesterday I walked around the northeast Ithaca area, in my
neighborhood around Tareyton and Salem and also in the Bluegrass Lane,
Freese Road, and Hanshaw Road vicinity. I really saw very little of
note, but perhaps the most interesting bird was a FIELD SPARROW
foraging along the road on Salem Drive in the east-west segment north
of Hanshaw.

--
Jay McGowan
Macaulay Library