Thanks Bill,

Wouldn't this be true of other recognized migratory routes, wildlife refugees,
or IBA, etc, for example, Montezuma?

________________________________
 From: Bill Evans <wrev...@clarityconnect.com>
To: Lisa Welch <welch_m_l...@yahoo.com>; cayugabirds
<cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Communication Towers and Migratory Bird Routes

Lisa,

Unlike for commercial wind energy,
there are no specific NY guidelines for minimizing avian impacts of
communcations towers (i.e., nothing from NYDEC).

The Federal guidelines put forth by the USFWS
are pertinent for NY and can be found at the following link:
http://www.fws.gov/habitatconservation/communicationtowers.html

Generally, towers should be kept as far away from
the shores of Lake Ontario as possible, due to occasional large migratory bird
concentrations there. Towers located within ~3 miles of the shoreline should be
free-standing (no guy wires) and as short as possible. Towers should not be
built near sources of bright permanent light (sports stadiums, convenient
stores, etc.), which may lead to dense bird aggregations of disoriented birds
on
cloudy nights. Towers should use flashing (not steady-burning) aviation
obstruction lighting if possible.

Bill Evans
www.towerkill.com