From: bounce-18840425-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-18840425-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Susan Fast
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:57 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Hammond Hill SF

I took my usual loop walk around Star Stanton and Hammond Hills early this
morning.  High winds and occasional snow flurries.  Very few birds.  But a
couple highlights:  a male PURPLE FINCH sang from the top of a spruce.  It sang
a continuous odd jumble of notes and short phrases, quite unlike the more
"typical" song.  Suddenly the clouds opened and a brilliant blue sky dawned;
the effect was more amazing than a Marie Read photo.
At the large blow-down area along Trail Y-1, I loitered, hoping for to see my
favorite bird.  He did not disappoint, as, close by, he woke up, blasted out a
complete song, then went back to bed.  Hint: WINTER WREN.
Lastly, I heard the plaintive begging calls of an AMER CROW from a spruce
stand.  I thought this was a bit early for up there, but I guess not.

Steve Fast
Brooktondale