The temperature was very cool up in West Danby's traditional Worm- eating Warbler habitat this morning: apart from a querulous Hermit Thrush and a couple of Chickadees, the place seemed almost deserted. Between 9:00 and 9:30 small groups of apparently migrating Blue Jays flew past below me (about 75 Jays in all). An unidentified accipiter made what might have been a territorial overflight, but did not vocalize. A few Turkey Vultures soared very close to the wall. Distantly I could see that several birders were walking around in the L-P Preserve. They seemed to be getting more action than I. But I waited until the sun climbed high enough to clear the looming summits of the pinnacles and strike the tops of the stunted chestnut oaks, pitch pines and Amelanchiers (the latter in full bloom), at which encouragement a few birds were moved to sing: Ovenbirds, Black-and- white Warblers, Juncos, a Northern Oriole, and a Worm-eating Warbler. However, the filtered sunlight was too wan for much of that, and within five minutes they all shut up!

-Geo

Geo Kloppel
Bowmaker & Restorer
227 Tupper Road