Hello everyone,

   I was leading the 7 AM group today (Sunday) on the Spring Field Ornithology
trip to the banding station at Braddock Bay.  While not strictly speaking an
all-birding trip (many uncountable birds in the hand...but really nice looks as
a result), it was a very enjoyable time with: cooperative weather (no rain!),
chances for people to have wonderfully close looks at a number of species, and
migrating raptors in number and diversity to make the Derby Hill trip in
mid-April look silly in comparison: BALD EAGLE, MERLIN, SHARP-SHINNED HAWK,
COOPER'S HAWK, BROAD-WINGED HAWK, RED-TAILED HAWK, and NORTHERN HARRIER.

   BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEEs and BLUE JAYs were moving eastward along the lake
shore in very large numbers (we saw one flock of jays numbering over 50 birds
travelling as a cohesive group --- more than I've seen as a flock in Ithaca
ever, and I chickadees moving in streams at tree-top level).  Judging by
numbers of birds banded, two dominant migrant species in the last 24 hours
along the south shore of Lake Ontario (and the Cayuga Lake basin?) were the
chickadees, and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETs.

Wesley Hochachka