Hi Marilyn,

Well, I don't see anything in this article that suggests any reason that
cowbirds STARTED laying their eggs in other birds nests. We are talking about
something that happened way back during the cowbird's evolutionary history
here, tens or hundreds of thousands of years ago. So in fact we will never know
exactly why the first cowbird female started the trend to parasitism. What your
"expert" put forward was a theory of why the behavior might have been adaptive
for the cowbird population, ie what advantages did the behavior offer the
population.

It certainly is a plausible explanation, in my opinion.

Who was the biologist in the radio piece by the way?

Interesting topic

Marie (currently in June Lake, California hence my recent absence from
Cayugabirds-L...but..."I'll be back"!!!)

Marie Read Wildlife Photography
452 Ringwood Road
Freeville NY  13068 USA

Phone  607-539-6608
e-mail   m...@cornell.edu

http://www.marieread.com

***NEW***  See my beautiful photo notecards:

http://www.marieread.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=478&pos=0