From: Wesley M Hochachka <w...@cornell.edu>
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:16 PM
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Pine Siskins are like potato chips...except in
Sapsucker Woods today

Hi everyone,

   On my way in to work this morning, I was surprised to see a single PINE
SISKIN sitting atop one of the snags on the west end of the main pond in
Sapsucker Woods…surprised for two reasons:
(1)    It seemed rather early for siskins to appear, although there was a
little burst of eBird records in mid-September with none between then and now,
and
(2)    In my experience “siskins” is almost invariably plural…like potato chips.
I was puzzled as to how a single Pine Siskin could end up so early and so
alone…and apparently with no other reports in the immediate area and date
range.  I think I know what happened now, thanks to Dave Bonter pointing out
today’s blog entry from Braddock Bay: roughly 350 Pine Siskins hit the nets in
Braddock Bay yesterday without any warning of a lead-up trickle over the
previous days.  So, it appears that there was a big movement of siskins into
this general region, and I presume that the lone bird that I saw was either
navigationally or socially challenged and overshot the main movement.

Wesley Hochachka

Welcome and Basics
Rules and Information
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave