I started out this morning at Myer's Point. The lake was surprisingly quiet,
although a small flock of BRANT finally came down the lake about an hour after
I arrived. A BONAPARTE'S GULL circling around the spit and single female
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER and GREEN-WINGED TEAL were about the only other water
birds of interest.

Salt Point was very active, however, especially the fruiting trees and shrubs
near the tip. Best bird there (eating berries) was a very late female BALTIMORE
ORIOLE, among the many CEDAR WAXWINGS and ROBINS, 15-20 EASTERN BLUEBIRDS, and
2 NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRDS. In the shrubs and goldenrods were 2 BLACKPOLL
WARBLERS, 4 RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, sev. YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, and a mixed
flock of CHIPPING and FIELD SPARROWS. As I was leaving, I scanned a flock of
150 or so CANADA GEESE heading south and with them were a group of 4 CACKLING
GEESE that stayed together but kept separating from the main flock.

Back home in the late morning, I was very surprised to see a RED-EYED VIREO in
the locust tree in my backyard -- also a WINTER WREN (not in the locust tree).

In the late afternoon, I walked the dog in the fields off Bluegrass Lane, and
went right to the spot where Tom had found the NELSON'S SPARROW -- in the wet
area (w some cattails) on the south side of the tall switchgrass field. As I
approached on the "lane" through the middle of the switchgrass, the NELSON's
popped up and did the classic Nelson's 1-minute sit (in the bright afternoon
sun) before flying up and diving back into the grass -- showing off it's
"sharp" tail feathers in flight. The bright orange face, but blurry, uncrisp
streaking on the breast suggested the race alterus, which breeds around James
Bay.

We also flushed a SNIPE along the "lane" through the switchgrass. In the grassy
field and along the goldenroddy edge of the woods to the east, I saw sev.
FIELD, and SAVANNAH, 1 WHITE-CROWNED, 1 SWAMP, and many SONG SPARROWS. I was
surprised that no pipits were flying.

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program