I would STRONGLY advocate for decimal degrees. That does not mean degrees plus
decimal minutes by the way.
I'm engaged in building a database for our worldwide deployments of acoustic
listening devices and believe me, the 17 different ways people write down
locations are a nightmare to encode logically as well as prone to all kinds of
errors. Decimal Degrees is what Google Maps uses and what works best in a
sortable list.
Decimal degrees also means no use (or misuse) of Northing-Easting style
references such as 82°0'0"W instead of -82.0000. Should there be spaces between
each part? Are those straight foot and inch marks or curly typography quotes?
Does the W come first or last? Ugh! In any given list, you'll find all
permutations.
Besides, how many people know how to type the degree symbol? On a Mac, it's
Shift-Option-asterisk, by the way. (:-)

Here is one of many online calculators to convert from DMS or DM.m:

http://www.satsig.net/degrees-minutes-seconds-calculator.htm

In my experience, most GPS devices can report out in more than one mode. Just
explore the preferences or settings menu.

Chris Pelkie
Research Analyst
Bioacoustics Research Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology