If anyone is heading downtown in Ithaca, I recommend a stop at Stewart Park -
with the bright sun and calm lake, the thousands of geese, ducks, and gulls,
offer an unusually spectacular view. Many of the birds are in very close. Among
the thousands of CANADA GEESE, MALLARDS, and the common 3 gulls, were a mixed
group of REDHEAD, RING-NECKED DUCKS, with a few SCAUP, CANVASBACK, BUFFLEHEAD,
GADWALL, AM WIGEON, COOTS (100 or so), a newly arrived group of 20+ NORTHERN
PINTAIL, and a little further out several rafts of HOODED MERGANSERS -- I
counted 60 birds, COMMON GOLDENEYE, and COMMON MERGANSERS.

I briefly found a (the) 2nd-cycle ICELAND GULL floating with the mergansers --
it likely joined the gulls on the newly formed ice edge and was at the wrong
angle for me to pick out the white wing-tips and relocate.

I'm sure there is a good goose or two for anyone with enough time and patience
to sort through them.

This was about noon -- I hope everything is still there and in nice light.

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology