It's neat that Snowy Owls are irrupting enough that USA Today took notice and included some background biology.  For more info on this ongoing story, there's a neat article from the eBird folks at the Lab of O.
--Dave Nutter

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/got-snowies?utm_source=Cornell+Lab+eNews&utm_campaign=7631877f7f-Cornell_Lab_eNews_December_201112_19_2011&utm_medium=email

"one would guess that the population of lemmings has crashed, forcing more birds south than usual. Arctic researchers suggest an interesting twist, however, that the lemmings this year were at historical population highs allowing for a very successful breeding season for Arctic raptors, including Snowy Owls. The resulting population boom causes overcrowding and competition at typical wintering grounds pushing inexperienced birds farther south into the Lower 48."