Chris, Thanks correcting me as to who saw it first. But it is incredible that
this loon has lived a good life for so long.
May be next generation of loons from his side will have broken mandibles and in
maybe years we will have a new species of loons who might evolved to feed on
different kinds of food that does not need support of lower mandible.
I am sure all the shrikes we see are also coming to same locations year after
year and I bet most of them are same individuals.
 I remember one Rufous-backed shrike was coming to Mating railway station year
after year and spent most of the time on the power line in front of ladies
compartment location. No, it was not looking at ladies, but for the trains that
was the location where ladies could wait for.

It is not only large birds, but even small humming birds seem to have site
fidelity.  If you go Bill Hilton's website you can see many stories.  Such
small creatures can remember locations so well!

Meena

Meena Haribal
Boyce Thompson Institute
Ithaca NY 14850
Phone 607-254-1258
http://meenaharibal.blogspot.com/
http://haribal.org/
http://haribal.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/wildwest+trip+August+2007+.pdf<http://www.geocities.com/asiootusloe/http:/www.geocities.com/asiootusloe/mothsofithaca.htmlhttp:/haribal.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/wildwest+trip+August+2007+.pdf>