Some incidental birding today produced some excellent birds. At 12:30, in
between errands, I decided to to a quick check from the first pullout on Rt. 89
(#829) above Hogs Hole. I could see only 4 birds in the SW sector of the lake
-- 3 LESSER SCAUP and a WESTERN GREBE. The grebe was fairly close and gave
excellent scope views in the emerging sunlight, and some fair digiscoping
chances. A little later, I drove behind the Ithaca airport hoping for a shrike,
and found crisp adult NORTHERN SHRIKE on Neimi Rd -- just at the west edge of
the ponds. Two TURKEY VULTURES flew over, one of them the striking partially
white-winged individual that has been around this winter -- actually the first
time I've seen it.

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program