I finally got out to do some Basin birding on this summery March day -- a few
highlights below:

Started very early (0610) on Salt Rd. in Summerhill State Forest, where I heard
2 GREAT HORNED and 2 BARRED OWLS but no Saw-whet or Long-eared -- it was warm
and dead calm. PINE SISKINS were everywhere, flying around in pairs and small
groups on Salt, Hoag, and Lick St. A flock of about 15 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS
came into the swamp on Hoag Rd. and then flew west -- I did not get very good
looks but heard them well. At least 8 FOX SPARROWS were calling and sitting up
nicely. 2 drumming RUFFED GROUSE and 2 other visuals. Lots of singing
GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, AND several BROWN CREEPERS,
plus 1 WINTER WREN.

Many displaying HORNED LARKS around King Ferry and Center Rd.; a male
RING-NECKED PHEASANT crossed Rt. 90 just south of the Tompkins Co line.

Myer's and the Lake were very quiet; PIPIT on the gravel bar, singing FLICKER
in the park.

Stewart Park equally quiet with single AM WIGEON, PIED-BILLED GREBE, and
KILLDEER the only semi-interesting birds.

Mt. Pleasant 2:30-3:30 PM. Warm, puffy clouds, south wind; not a single bird I
would call a migrant. Got a long scope view (5 minutes at 50-60X) of an
immature NORTHRN GOSHAWK, though, circling up out of the woods, over the
fields, right overhead, and diving back into the woods to the north. Certainly
a highlight of this magnificent day,

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program