Just a few notes from today while doing some yard cleanup activities and when
returning from errands.

Heard a Purple Finch and a FIELD SPARROW singing in our yard mid-afternoon
today. Later, heard distinct "kek-kek-kek-kek-kek...!" call series from a
COOPER'S HAWK in the spruces adjacent to our property in the Finger Lakes Land
Trust Etna Nature Preserve. Went to investigate and the bird took flight from
near the edge of the stand with a probable Blue Jay (noticeably smaller) in hot
pursuit, but both were just out of main sight for me. Later, heard several
American Crows and Blue Jays mobbing something in the tops of the spruce
woodlot again...could be they were mobbing the (returned?) Cooper's or perhaps
the Cooper's earlier had instigated the mobbing of an owl (if so, presumably a
Great Horned Owl) or something else? Didn't have much time to figure it out,
but it was cool to hear the Cooper's Hawk "kekking" earlier. Both Cooper's
Hawks and Sharp-shinned Hawks have nested (or attempted to) in the spruces
stands in the Etna Nature Preserve in past years.

Good birding!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

--
Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes
TARU Product Line Manager and Field Applications Engineer