After hearing about Ken and Jay's interesting gull I decided to meet Jessie
at Stewart Park where we were eventually able to see what we are fairly
confident is the same interesting gull (based on some photos that Ken sent
me while I was there--THANK KEN!).  The pattern of replacement in the wing
coverts and tail appear identical to my eyes. We had the luxury of seeing
this bird in direct comparison with an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull and
was able to get some video, which you can see at the link below. The
side-by-side comparison has made me believe that this is a Lesser
Black-backed Gull.

https://vimeo.com/39164762

I'm reminded again how troublesome second and third-year Lesser
Black-backed Gulls can be. They usually are bit paler mantled, and it seems
as if they often appear a bit shorter-winged. I believe what was once the
first or second record of Slaty-backed Gull for Ontario was in fact also a
Lesser Black-backed Gull and accepted by the entire Ontario Records
committee --  just to give an idea of how challenging these birds can be. I
think part of this impression is due to the extensive black tip to the bill
of second-year Lesser Black-backed Gull, which creates the impression that
they are bigger-billed than they really are. Nevertheless, I think if you
look at the video where it is interacting with an adult Lesser Black-backed
it has an extremely similar structure. I hope this will clear up any
confusion. You'll note some differences in aging as well. Aging second and
third-year gulls is far more complicated than standard field guides have
room to illustrate. Not, however, the extensive pattern of brown in the
wings and the tail pattern are normal for a 2nd-year Lesser Black-backed
Gull not a third year which I belive would have much more extensive slaty
feathers in the wings.

There were, in fact, 4 adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls and 1 second-year
bird at Stewart this evening! Pretty amazing. This makes 5 spankingly
handsome breeding Lesser Black-backed Gulls (and a second-year) presumably
all heading north over Cayuga Lake today and dropped by the weather (Tim
had one farther north too -- not the wintering one).  I wonder where they
are going and why they appear to be taking this inland route. Perhaps there
is a US breeding ground and perhaps it is father west than we have tended
to assume.

I also uploaded some video of courting Bufflehead. Courting ducks in
general are among the most captivating birds there are and Bufflehead may
well be in a league of their own. I took the video below up at Long Point
yesterday. Do yourself a favor in the next week or two and head to the lake
and find some Bufflehead. Instead of passing your scope over them to find
Long-tailed Ducks, stop and watch them. Right now they are at there best!
 At the very least, check out the video. Then call in sick tomorrow and go
find some Bufflehead! (NOT YOU TIM LENZ, we have work to do!!)

https://vimeo.com/39138904

Finally, I also uploaded some video of Pine Warbler from Monkey Run.

https://vimeo.com/39080251

If you explore elsewhere there are some videos of a Red-tailed Hawk eating
a Common Loon, millions or Red-winged Blackbirds and some other stuff.

Anyway, THANKS Ken for getting the word out about the gull. Certainly an
interesting bird. I'm sure I would have been confused had a few adult
Lesser Black-backed Gulls not dropped in.

Good birding,
Chris Wood

PS - A couple other weekend highlights included a VERY EARLY singing male
Yellow Palm Warbler at the odd locale of Mackenzie Childs Bluffs. I also
saw and heard Red Crossbill (I believe type 1) along Station Road near the
big pulloff above where you typically enter to go look for Worm-eating
Warblers by walking the ridge line to Lindsay Parsons.