So the real question is, why did people first decide to report to several
listservs on one day, but quietly report to eBird for a couple weeks?

Dave,

My guess is that when lot of people from different list serve report on one
particular day, that day a big wave of birds arrived, so many people record
them. When individual birds are seen, they are either overwintering birds or
may  be small contingent of them may come at earlier dates but do not get
noticed so easily and do not get reported.

As for reporting to e-bird list or to listserve or to both, which many do are
individual reporters choices.

Meena

Meena Haribal
Ithaca NY 14850